Cosign Magazine hosted their fifth annual Cosign Awards Gala Friday, Nov. 18, recognizing entrepreneurs and media personalities impacting the community.
The gala, held at Hamptons Event Venue, was hosted by Cosign’s Richie Fontane and WFAA’s Tashara Parker. More than 400 attendees were dressed in their best evening attire, even with the chilly weather.
A cocktail reception kicked off the evening with drinks from Maker’s Mark and Courvoisier and sounds by DJ Tazia Alexia and The Sensei Blue.
There were plenty of winners for the night in the categories of tech, health and wellness, education, nonprofit and more. In between announcing awards, there was a fashion show hosted by Pink Lucy.
“This is really about multicultural entrepreneurs and organizations, this is really about Black and brown excellence, and not about Cosign,” Cosign CEO K.G. Graham said. “Without our community, without these entrepreneurs, executives and nominees, we would not be the same.”
The complete list of award recipients is:
- Tech Entrepreneur Of The Year: Maxie Taylor
- Health and Wellness: Taylor Symone
- Real Estate Startup Of The Year: Scottie L. Smith
- Executive Of The Year: David Chris
- Publicist Of The Year: Sarah Badran
- Educator Of The Year: Kierra Henderson
- Photographer Of The Year: Dee Porter
- Fashion Designer Of The Year: Pink Lucy
- Nonprofit Of The Year: For Oak Cliff
- Podcast Of The Year: Dear Future Wifey hosted by Laterras R. Whitfield ● Creative Entrepreneur Of The Year: Daisha Board Gallery
- Community Leader Of The Year: Lady Jade
- eCommerce Business Of The Year: Urban Trivia
- Influencer Of The Year: Tanya Marie
- Beauty Entrepreneur Of The Year: Jonathan Wright
- Entrepreneur Of The Year: April Watson
“Unfortunately, one of the owners of the business was 81 years old, Mr. Frank E. Gee, passed away, and now Mr. Jones is still running the business. We’re gonna donate $25,000 to Blackjack Pizza to repair it, to open back up.”
Jayson Lyric and Jacob Clayton also presented awards for Community Leader and Influencer, respectively. Former Dallas Mavericks player Josh Howard was honored as Cosign of the Year, courtesy of RPA College, a platform that offers athletes a way to connect with colleges and recruiters.
The Cosign Awards Gala also serves as an annual fundraising event to support small businesses and nonprofits.