Verna’s H.E.L.P. Foundation offering free legal assistance to Dallas County residents
Legal clinics will be held Saturday, May 21, to inform Dallas County residents about propositions that were recently passed and provide valuable information regarding lower property taxes for homeowners.
The clinics will be moderated by Judge Dominique Collins and Judge Audrey Moorehead and will also include 10 invited attorneys to answer some of the most pressing questions they are often asked.
Those questions are:
- Traffic ticket dismissal after returning from TDCJ or being in Jail for 3 to 6 months; to help get their tickets dismissed while getting many driver’s licenses reinstated. Without a driver’s License, one can’t travel by air and in some cases get a job. Nor can they vote.
- Housing for homeless veterans and the mentally ill County Courts; and where are they?
- Your Estate: The difference between a Will and Probated Will.Who needs a will, trust, or Living Trust.
- Legal rights for the elderly after an eviction. How long does one have after being served eviction papers?
- The new tax law and exemptions for the disabled that are not 65 years old.
- The felony expungement application and process.
- Legal rights when you are stopped for a DWI or DUI; when you have not been drinking and are on medication or a diabetic.
- Legalizing marijuana and going to jail when smoking marijuana in cars and many while on probation.
- Legalizing marijuana and still have to pass a drug test when getting a job.
- The right time to sell your home and the right time for first-time buyers.
The legal clinics will be held at Dallas County Eastfield Campus located at 3737 Motley Drive in Mesquite.
Doors open at 9:30 a.m. Inside of Building S and the Legal Clinic gets started at 10 a.m. to Noon.
Verna’s HELP Foundation will also hold its super weekend, celebrating 40 years of working in the community, to advocate change, while implementing new programs to help people throughout Dallas County.
On Friday, June 24 the foundation will host its “Giants Shoulders on Which We Stand Memorial” consisting of a Memorial Balloon and Floral Ceremony for the 30 city and county leaders that helped with the start and existence of the Judy Lott Community Center 1982 to Verna’s H.E.L.P. Foundation.
The event will be held from 11a.m. to 2 p.m. at Dallas City Hall Plaza located at 1200 Marilla Street.
The event is free and open to the public and will honor the following:
- Late Frank & Judy Lott
- Honorable Elsie Faye Higgins
- Mayor Annett Strauss
- Gloria Hogg
- Murdeen Berry
- Olga Mae Rabourn
- Mr. J.B. Jackson
- Honorable Albert & Lovie Lipscomb
- Pastor George W. Pryor
- William & Mozell Blair
- Comer J. Cottrell
- Pastor SM Wright Sr.
- Lawson Ridgeway
- Atty. Louis A Bedford
- M T “Buddy” Minyards
- Judge John Wittington
- Judge Cleo Steele
- Fred Meyer
- Norman Moorehead
- John Stemmons
- Peter & Martha Steward
- Dr. Charles Mitchell
- Mayor Jack Evans
- Poncho Medrano
- Mayor Starke Taylor
- Mayor Robert Folsom
On Saturday, June 25, 2022, their Seventh Annual Red Carpet Empowerment Prayer Brunch and award recognition to the 2022 Living Legends of Dallas.
This event will be held at the Royal Oaks Country Club located at 7915 Greenville Avenue starting at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Distinguished Living Legends include:
- Mr. Charles Haley NFL & Hall of Fame and Super Bowl five times and the founder of Tackle Tomorrow
- Mr. Roland Parrish – CEO – McDonald’s
- Ms. Margie Aquilar – ISP – Studios-TV
- Atty. Paul Coggins – Locke Lord’s & Former U.S. Attorney
- Ms. Carolyn Toliver – Sr. Benefit Counselor DAAA
- Mrs. Ashlee Hunt-Kleinert -Ruthie’s Rolling Café
- Mrs. Libbie Terrell Lee – Golden S.E.E.D.S Foundation
- Mr. Lauriston Crockett – Genostim Labs
- Mrs. Felicia Frazier – Founder – The Chocolate MINT Foundation
- Pastor S.M. Wright Jr.-Christmas in the Park
- Mrs. Rosie Stromberg – Dallas JHS Admin.
- Mr. Tim Brown – Heisman and NFL